Home Of Foam
April 19, 2024, 01:20:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Weather

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather  (Read 818 times)
redfish

I have done nothing productive all day

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

I'm an utter weather geek. I make all my own forecasts and I'm right just as often if not more often than the pros. What I haven't figured out yet is why there is never a weather thread in any of the forums I am a member of (except, of course, the weather forums). So, I'm making one here.

This thread is for weather forecasts, discussions, and mostly wishcasting. In weather forums, if you can't provide reasonable evidence behind a forecast, it's called wishcasting and you get in trouble. Here, there aren't any rules about that. So if you want to rant about how certain you are that you will receive thirty feet of snow on Christmas Eve, then go ahead. That being said, if you don't provide any sources nobody will take you seriously.

Why the hell would a bunch of kids care about weather, you might ask? Well, our lives revolve around weather. For example, most of us would kill for snow days. Those of us who wouldn't would probably kill snow days if they could. Wintertime is fast approaching, and that means that snow day season is almost upon us. This thread is also the place for anything else weather related- here you can talk about how much you hate cold weather, or how much you hate hot weather; you can talk about the recent tornado outbreaks, and about how tornadoes form; here you can talk about hurricanes, and make forecasts for hurricanes, learn a little about how they form and strengthen. If it has to do with weather, post it here.

A word of advice, however: climate change is a sensitive topic, and I do not recommend bringing it up. Also, I wonder if there is some way to differentiate serious forecasts from wishful ones.... maybe a different title emote?

I'm going to get this ball rolling with some forecasts. First off, there's a cold airmass expected to be moving into the NorthEast later on this week. That might be a first frost for some of us. Additionally, the GFS (the long-range American computer model that's screwy but free) has been showing an even larger cold airmass that might even give some of us a dusting of snow around the end of the month. Computer models are famous for being extremely unrealistic in the long range, however.

As far as this winter goes, I predict an unusually active winter for the North-East. Something like last winter. There's another Nina, -NAO, -EPO, and a -QBO. That's a pretty similar setup, with perhaps less coastal storms... I think. Anyways, for all of you who can't wait for the first snow day, like me, we shouldn't have to wait very long.

Oh, and one other thing. If you don't know what something means, just ask. A lot of these terms are probably foreign to you.
Report Spam   Logged

NERF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!ONE!!!!!ONEHUNDREDANDELEVEN!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

Shooting zombies since 1999

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:40:02 pm »

try predicting the weather in Michigan.....bach it's terrible.  Lays off everyone of the Zomb wars I go to.
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

Following in KiDD's footsteps
KiDD
Death the KiDD
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »

You are very smart....

I can't wait for a snow day. Ohio gets snow pretty bad...
Report Spam   Logged

I do commission's year long, PM me for details.
Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »

Michigan's weather is worse.  I hate you great lakes yet....I love you because of the beach babes.
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:47:44 pm »

You are very smart....

I go by the opposite of what my radio station says...

You are a very smart person. I could never figure out the weather.
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 07:52:11 pm »

You are very smart....

It fried my brain the first time I read it through.
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

You are very smart....

I never finished it... TO much reading...
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:58:55 pm »

I skimmed through the whole article, hoping he would say he would do the weather for us here for free so I don't have to check every hour (or minute considering it's Michigan) the weather channel.
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

KiDD
Death the KiDD
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:02:30 pm »

I skimmed through the whole article, hoping he would say he would do the weather for us here for free so I don't have to check every hour (or minute considering it's Michigan) the weather channel.
Don't like the weather? Just wait 5 minutes....

Report Spam   Logged

Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

Exactamundo although the snow days last about a day and at one point school was like this.
Monday-normal, Tuesday-normal, Wednesday-snow day, Thursday-snow day, Friday-half day and than winter break.
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

KiDD
Death the KiDD
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:10:17 pm »

Exactamundo although the snow days last about a day and at one point school was like this.
Monday-normal, Tuesday-normal, Wednesday-snow day, Thursday-snow day, Friday-half day and than winter break.
Yup, one time it went like this for me:

Monday - off

Tuesday - Off

Wednesday (last day until break) - School
Report Spam   Logged

redfish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 08:24:26 pm »

Haha I moved here a year ago and my first winter (last winter) we got a ton of snow. It was epic. School went like this in January:
Three-day weekend; one day of school; two snow days; one day of school; weekend+1 snow day; two days of midterms; snow day; 1 day of midterms; long weekend; snow day; and so forth. It was epic.

Apparently, the year before we got no snow. So I was really lucky.

Here's to another winter of epic proportions  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

NERF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!ONE!!!!!ONEHUNDREDANDELEVEN!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!
wawhosed
Puch Dealer.

This is Sumocat, and you must respect him.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:38 pm »

In Hotlanta last year we had a week off of school for the snow, it was crazy! Also, cold.
Report Spam   Logged

Boobs, boobs, boobs, and boobs.

Im gonna buy a gun and become a puch dealer. Not like a mean puch dealer but a nice one, you know like "Hey guys, hows it going, you wanna buy some puch?"
Zero96
Administrator

Master of Annoyance.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 03:03:54 pm »

We live in a place in MI... Now this is weird, and my mom is big on gardening, so it drives her nuts. There can be a giant storm coming, and sometimes, it will do, (As she likes to call it.) the "Red sea effect." It parts and we will get hardly anything. Also, in 2 days, we got 4 feet of snow. They say we get 160 inches of snow here.... BUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL CRRRRAAAAAAP! We have to have at least over 340'.

try predicting the weather in Michigan...

Your absolutely right!

Michigan's weather is worse.  I hate you great lakes yet.

What are you talking about! Winters in MI rock! Snowmobiling, skiing, and a whole bunch of stuff... I'm getting exited just thinking about it!

In Hotlanta last year we had a week off of school for the snow, it was crazy! Also, cold.

Well, I might as well say it. When I look at the weather channel and it says "MASSIVE SNOW STORM HITS ATLANTA! UP TO 1 inch in some areas." It drives me bonkers! Sorry, no offense to you... OFFENSE TO THE WEATHER CHANNEL!

Awesome, what state?

Haha, yeah... OK that had to be something from some kind of Harvard speech. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

KIDD [01|Dec 04:17 PM]:   Chuck Testa
Ambience 327 [02|Dec 09:13 AM]:   At first I read that as "Chuck Tesla". I thought the world was about to explode, as someone had finally combined the bearded awesomeness of Chuck Norris with the scientific awesomeness of Nikola Tesla... Smiley
redfish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 04:40:03 pm »

We live in a place in MI... Now this is weird, and my mom is big on gardening, so it drives her nuts. There can be a giant storm coming, and sometimes, it will do, (As she likes to call it.) the "Red sea effect." It parts and we will get hardly anything. Also, in 2 days, we got 4 feet of snow. They say we get 160 inches of snow here.... BUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL CRRRRAAAAAAP! We have to have at least over 340'.

Well, I might as well say it. When I look at the weather channel and it says "MASSIVE SNOW STORM HITS ATLANTA! UP TO 1 inch in some areas." It drives me bonkers! Sorry, no offense to you... OFFENSE TO THE WEATHER CHANNEL!

Awesome, what state?

I know what you mean by the storms splitting up around you... all summer long, the storms would split up around me. Even during the Springfield tornado outbreak, we got no precipitation at all- watching the radar, every single line would split up and re-form around me. There were funnel clouds 20 miles to our north, west, and south, but we got nothing. Drove me nuts!

You have to keep in mind with the southern states that they are not prepared to deal with the snow. I have friends in Dallas, TX who were stranded for a week after that storm gave them 1-2 inches of snow and ice. They had to wait for it to melt, because no one had plows, shovels, salt or even sand. They couldn't even get any from farther North because all the roads were shut down- the city was in lockdown mode for a week. In San Antonio, where I used to live, we had an ice storm one year that gave us maybe 1/8" of ice but resulted in two days of school closure.
In other words, the only thing Southern areas can do in preparation for a winter storm is to take down the signs that say "hell freezes before bridge" and replace them with "bridge freezes before road".

At the moment, if you live on the East Coast and are farther north than Raleigh, it looks like it's gonna be an above-average year. It's possible that this winter may top last year's. You guys near the Great Lakes always get snow, so don't even bother asking. :p
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: