Home Of Foam
March 28, 2024, 01:11:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Weather

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather  (Read 804 times)
Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 06:06:21 pm »

Snow in my area isn't very bad...

I think the most we have gotten was about 5in. in our area. We don't get much snow, we just get rain... Two years ago the lake near me flooded so that the water was over all of the docks and the boats on our lifts were floating. It was up on my grandma's yard. Last year we got it kind of bad, but not really bad. It got up to the bottom of the docks. We only get 3 snow days, which we used up before winter started last year because of flooding in our area...

The thing that bugs me is that its so cold and no snow!!!

Now I completely understand why Zero loves snow sports...
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
redfish

I have done nothing productive all day

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 11:54:05 am »

It hit 36 degrees last night... I'm overwhelmed by anticipation for the coming winter! Hopefully I can drag myself out of bed early enough tomorrow morning to see if we get any frost. Now the leaves will start changing colors and everything! I love this time of year!

As for this winter, the NE is still uncertain but almost everybody is calling for a wet and wild season for the Northern Plains region.

I'm going to try to explain what I know about winter weather patterns, so you all can make your own forecasts. It's always best to know why we predict that something will happen; otherwise, you're just taking our word for it. Here goes:

Everybody knows the terms "la nina" and "el nino". But what do they actually mean? This year will be another La Nina, the second in a row. According to NOAA, a La Nina occurs when the Eastern Equatorial Pacific Ocean is colder than normal. Here's a link to the NOAA site: http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/lanina.html

La Ninas and El Ninos come in three different forms for the U.S.: West-based, Central-based, and East-based. For La Ninas, West-based means hot for the SE and normal to cool for the NE, Central-based means cool for the NE and warm to normal for the SE, and East-based means cold for the NE and cool to normal for the SE. This year will be a Central- to East-based La Nina. Last year's was East-based.

So, that's what they do to temperatures. What about precipitation? In order to explain their affects on snowstorms, I must explain first the mechanisms of the Jet Stream.

The Jet Stream is the allmighty being that controls all weather. There are two Jet Streams that affect the U.S., and these are the Polar Vortex (that's good) and the Southern Jet (that's bad).
            The Polar Vort is made of really cold air, and is what causes our cold outbreaks. You can think of it like a giant river, flowing East across Canada, Greenland, the U.K., Siberia, and Alaska. It is really high off the ground, so you don't feel the hurricane force winds in it unless you're standing on top of Mount Washington. The path that it takes depends on surrounding airmasses- just as streams part around boulders and pour into valleys, the Polar Vort shifts around high-pressure air masses and shifts towards low-pressure systems.
         Last year, the Polar Vortex ran right through the U.S. for most of December-January, and as a result, it was really cold and stormy. In fact, the jet stream went as far south as Texas, blowing all of those nor'Easters and coastal blizzards into the East Coast. This was because there was a large high-pressure air mass over Greenland, known as the Greenland Block, that forced the Jet Stream to move around it- so it did, and it moved South. It will also be pulled south behind large storms such as Nor'Easters, resulting in rain for the first half of the storm and then snow for the second.

The Southern Jet is what kills our storms. Normally, it stays South of us, keeping the warm and dry air down in Mexico. However, if the SouthEast Ridge is present, it shifts North and ruins our winter. The SE Ridge is a large warm airmass centered between Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Most of our exciting storms along the East Coast last year formed in the Gulf of Mexico and then were pulled North by the Polar Vortex. Because they came from the Gulf, they had plenty of moisture to work with. Other storms form from packets of energy originating in the Pacific Ocean and then sweeping East. I'll explain these in more detail later.

Back to La Nina/El Nino, in a La Nina year the Polar Vortex tends to be bigger and more powerful, and sometimes farther south, but the SE ridge tends to be dominant. This means that warm and dry air dominates the SouthEast while the North East gets blasted by the Polar Vort. However, East Based La Ninas typically push the SE Ridge farther East, so it doesn't affect us as much. This winter, it is looking like the first couple months will be cold and exciting before it switches to a Central based La Nina and the SE Ridge comes back. A similar scenario happened last year.

That's basically all there is to the La Nina. I learned everything last year, so I don't really know what an El Nino does.

Next topic: Computer models.
Computer models are what forecasters use to predict the weather. There are hundreds of them out there, but here is a list of the most important ones and their quirks, as well as a link to their data:
GFS (Global Forecast System): one of the "big three" models, the GFS is a versatile model that is relatively accurate for all kinds of weather events. It forecasts up to 380 hours from initialization. The GFS often shows "fantasy storms" in its extended range, storms which are so powerful and intense that they could never really happen. Last year, it showed a giant Nor'Easter equivalent to a category 4 hurricane covering all 48 contiguous states sometime in December. Obviously, it didn't happen, but it will pick up on possible storms and time frames.

NAM (North American Model): Another one of the "Big Three", the NAM is a shorter-range model (74 hrs) that is usually pretty accurate.

ECMWF (European model or Euro): The most highly regarded computer model, and the last of the "Big Three", the ECMWF is more accurate than the GFS but goes to 180 days, more than twice the range of the NAM. It was always really hard to find any data for the ECMWF, but now Wunderground is providing it on the wundermap for free.

Other models: The CMC (Canadian), Ensemble, NOGAPS, and others. These are usually only looked at to see if they agree with the NAM, GFS, or ECMWF.

About models:
-The Operational run (OP run) is the 12z or 00z (Zulu time, subtract 4 for Eastern time) run. These runs are important because they are when the computers get new data on current conditions.
-Types of model data:
      -MSLP: Mean Sea Level Pressure
      -850 mb temp: temperature at 850 mb (the elevation at which the atmospheric pressure is 850 mb). It has to be below 0 C to snow.
      -__ mb Heights (hgts): how high up it is when the atmospheric pressure is __ mb. Colder air=lower heights, warmer airmass=higher heights.
      -Vorticity: A measure of the ability of a front to produce storms (instability).
      -QPF: Quantity of Precipitation Forecast. The amount of liquid water that is supposed to fall from the sky. Usually, 1 inch of water equals 10 inches of snow.
      -500 mb temp: Not as important as 850 mb temp. It is more useful in determining the type of snowflake/ice that will fall from the sky. When this is below 0 and the 850mb isn't, ice storm.
That's all the important ones. I'm thinking about making a video tutorial on model reading.

Next topic: Resources for current conditions
I'll get to that later. It's a huge topic, and I'll have some pretty pictures to go with it.

What do you think? Can you guys follow that, or do I need to break it up with pictures and/or video?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:32:57 pm by redfish » Report Spam   Logged

NERF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!ONE!!!!!ONEHUNDREDANDELEVEN!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!
KiDD
Death the KiDD
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »

redfish = Ron Burgundy

Report Spam   Logged

I do commission's year long, PM me for details.
Zero96
Administrator

Master of Annoyance.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 12:14:18 pm »

redfish = Ron Burgundy

HAHAHAHAHHAHA YOUR KILLING ME! HAhahahah 10/10 on the pic scale.
Report Spam   Logged

KIDD [01|Dec 04:17 PM]:   Chuck Testa
Ambience 327 [02|Dec 09:13 AM]:   At first I read that as "Chuck Tesla". I thought the world was about to explode, as someone had finally combined the bearded awesomeness of Chuck Norris with the scientific awesomeness of Nikola Tesla... Smiley
redfish

I have done nothing productive all day

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »

redfish = Ron Burgundy

HAHAHAHAHHAHA YOUR KILLING ME! HAhahahah 10/10 on the pic scale.
xD I don't even know who that is, but funny.

I added a whole bunch of stuff to that post. I don't know why, but for some reason I pressed the tab key to indent and it submitted the reply... I was like halfway through.
I think video might be the way to go for these tutorials, because long blocks of text hurts one's eyes.
Report Spam   Logged

NERF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!ONE!!!!!ONEHUNDREDANDELEVEN!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!
Zero96
Administrator

Master of Annoyance.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 01:20:34 pm »

xD I don't even know who that is, but funny.

... Same here.

I added a whole bunch of stuff to that post. I don't know why, but for some reason I pressed the tab key to indent and it submitted the reply... I was like halfway through.
I think video might be the way to go for these tutorials, because long blocks of text hurts one's eyes.

HOLY CRAP ITS EVEN LONGER!
Report Spam   Logged

Ambience 327 [02|Dec 09:13 AM]:   At first I read that as "Chuck Tesla". I thought the world was about to explode, as someone had finally combined the bearded awesomeness of Chuck Norris with the scientific awesomeness of Nikola Tesla... Smiley
Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 09:46:05 am »

Hey guys, please get back on topic. This thread is about weather, not movies. If you would like, you can make a movies topic and we could move some of these posts over there.
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
Zero96
Administrator

Master of Annoyance.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »

Hey guys, please get back on topic. This thread is about weather, not movies. If you would like, you can make a movies topic and we could move some of these posts over there.

Indeed... Its been drizzly here all day. I To see how close I can get to the date of the first snow. I'm saying October 10th, same as the deadline for the contest... Which reminds me to bumpity bump that post.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: