Home Of Foam
April 19, 2024, 09:10:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Effective Removable Suppressor

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Effective Removable Suppressor  (Read 296 times)
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:23:04 pm »

Eraser & Freezy had asked me about some suppressors I have been trotting out, and I have a design I'd like to share. It's removable, effective and adaptable. It works great with stefans. Stock darts not so much. It uses a spent caulk tube for the main body. The plunger from inside the caulk tube is used as the endcap. The ports in the barrel can be fiddly and will require some patience, and perhaps some trial and error. The method I show uses simple tools and has a high success rate.

Here's the tools we'll use. Pretty standard except for that odd shaped, dark dremel bit. It's a very fine abrasive polishing bit that is similar to a rough pencil eraser. The weird pigtail looking piece of wire is wrapped around a 30watt soldering iron and is used to locate and start the barrel ports. The drill bit is 1/8".

Here's our materials. An empty caulk tube (or quickcrete for yellow!), some cottony material (I used a ripped up aquarium filter), some fbr blanks (I used pool noodle material) and a few rubber bands.

Fill the caulk tube with hot water. Clean the inside surface with a toothbrush to remove the caulk residue and free the plunger in the end of the tube. After it sits a few minutes, empty the water & push on the plunger (through the nozzle hole) with a blunt instrument till it falls out. Clean out the remaining caulk. Cut the nozzle off the tube. Add a starter hole to the middle of the plunger with the small burr-style dremel bit. Enlarge the hole there and at the nozzle end with your drum sander bits until they fit tightly over your barrel like so:

Now we'll port the barrel. Make sure that the first hole will wind up inside the caulk tube when it is fitted on the barrel. I like having the muzzle stick out a bit past the suppressor so I can really push the barrel into the coupler.

Here's the soldering iron with my weird, makeshift tool attached. Let the iron heat up for a few minutes. If the wire slips off the iron, let it heat up a minute before you try to make another hole. It should take about 10 seconds to burn each hole.

Here's where I placed the first port. The mark shows the inside edge of the suppressor. The hole should wind up a ways back from this to improve airflow.

I then marked a spot directly across from this hole with a mechanical pencil.

Now we can easily drill though both holes. Here I show the process repeated. This "cross" of four 1/8" holes will allow us to eyeball the rest, making construction smoother. The rest of the holes will be kept smaller.

Continue burning holes in the barrel in 2 lines, for a total of 16 holes. Start the second line of holes behind your original to ensure that the ports stay inside the main body.

Now we'll bring the ports to their final shape and smooth the interior of the barrel. I will start by running the burr dremel bit along the inside edges of the holes at an angle as pictured. I use my thumb as a brake on the collet of my janky dremel and go at a low speed to avoid scratching the interior of the barrel.

Now to concentrate on smoothing out the inside of the barrel port area. You can see that I have worked on the first line of holes. I will use my Stanley knife to carefully remove the debris that I can. I will go over any stubborn areas with the burr bit again. After that there are usually a few small bits of flash left. I'll use that red conical polishing bit, by hand,  to remove that. The dark rubber abrasive bit is used at the very end (once again, by hand) to hone up the whole area. It is all important that this area be completely free of any burrs or flash. If there is any effect to accuracy at all to your blaster the answer will likely be to check this area.

I chamfered the outside of the ports and sanded the whole area.

I added 4 holes to the endcap like so:

We can assemble it now. Push the endcap on all the way. Wrap the cottony material around the barrel and secure it with rubber bands.

Insert the barrel into the main body. Stuff some blanks in the space left. I used 8.

Push the endcap into the main body and feed the barrel through, stopping when it's flush like so:

Done!

I've tweaked this design 4 or 5 times and this iteration is particularly effective. Some sophistication can be added. A 2 stage system can be implemented by adding another plunger (with perforations) in the middle of the main body. 2 caulk tubes can be linked to provide more volume. Some experimentation with the damping materials can likely yield benefits. Variables like volume, location & diameter of ports, length of the barrel between the port area and the muzzle, etc., can be played with. There are some improvements that can be done to make the suppressor easier to move from blaster to blaster and be more secure. If I manage to stay out of Guantanamo I will update this thread.

So how does it work exactly? Elven magic. It is surprisingly effective. It effectively silences the report of the blaster it's fitted to. The noise floor is lowered to the point that you will have to go in and silence the internals of your blaster thoroughly. It is effective on air powered blasters and reduces the report about 40% on the loudest of mine. Accuracy is unaffected if it's built carefully. Legality is a non-issue in the U.S.. Outside the U.S.? Dunno.

Testing & Basic Tuning :

1) If you seal the muzzle with your finger and blow through the breech end of the barrel there should be an easy, unrestricted flow out the ports. If there is sputtering or any resistance, and your ports are all clean and evenly shaped, make the holes larger.

2) The 4 small holes in the endcap serve a purpose. There needs to be steady airflow, but with some noticeable resistance here. Assemble the main body and endcap without the barrel. Use your finger to seal up the hole the barrel would fit through and blow through the muzzle end of the main body.

3) The packing (aquarium filter material and blanks) inside the main body needs to have some "bite" on the air flowing through it. Again we can test it by just blowing through it, checking the resistance and adjusting as necessary.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:33:07 am by iamthatcat » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:59:46 pm »

Nice man. I've made suppresors for airsoft guns before, getting your blaster quiet is quite hard. This is basicall what I did for my airsoft gun. Does this hurt ranges at all or not?
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:27:15 pm »

It probaly does decrease range, but not enough to notice. The dart is about done accelerating by the time it hits the ports.
Report Spam   Logged

Nerf Doctor
Contributors

Makes Cool S**T

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:34:50 pm »

Looks like you got a Titan rocket without fins on there. I can imagine it would work good on high volume air blasters, such as my Hydro Cannon. Talk about air flow....
Report Spam   Logged

Edit #3: I spelled the name wrong, so for about 10 minutes, our website logo was "Hoe of Foam".
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:40 am »

@Nerf Doctor - Yup this thing does have some airflow! That's kinda the way I test it too. If I can seal the muzzle & blow through the breech end of the barrel when it's all assembled and get decent flow it's working ok. There should be some resistance to slow down the muzzle blast though. That's what the packing material does.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: