Home Of Foam
March 28, 2024, 08:50:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Shotgun Absolver Attachment

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Absolver Attachment  (Read 403 times)
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:13:57 am »

This shotgun attachment is inspired by a blaster I saw with a 6 way pvc manifold and a barrel on each way. It's for the lulz and what not. It's basically 4 inline clips wedged into a 1 1/2" endcap. I apologize in advance for the lack of pics illustrating a few areas, I think I lost a few.

This will take a fair amount of air to operate. I used an expanded 4b which was fine. Titans and the like would be great. I imagine it can be scaled down or up as I didn't put any math to this at all. It holds 50 1.3" darts (sqooshed in up to the muzzle) and fires 30+ at good pressure out to 80'. At low pressure I get 15 darts at what seems like safe velocity.

I use a manifold inside the endcap which can be optional. I haven't tested this without the manifold to see if there is a performance difference. It does make building easier and produces a bit more durable absolver. A simple dart stop would work in it's place. It can be loaded by removing each barrel or by simply pushing 2-3 darts down each barrel and ramrodding them in. I am showing it fitted with a threaded 3/4" cpvc female coupler. It would work with other configs of course, but this fit my application. Thanks to Nerf Doctor for helping me finalize the coupler setup. Longer clips &/or barrels would work too. I'd like to try petg barrels on this for weight soon.

Materials:

1/2" conduit or pvc (4x 6 3/4" or longer)
1/2" cpvc (4x 8 1/2" or longer)
2x 1/2" cpvc couplers
1 1/2" pvc endcap
3/4" female coupler (or similar)
Thick acrylic sheet (or polycarb/similar)
Super glue (thin and gel) or Epoxy/Solvent weld

Tools:

Dremel w/drum sander/drill bits
drill bits/corded drill/drill press
files/needle files (nice but optional)
Coping saw

We'll start by making these sub assemblies. Coupler, endcap and clips. To prepare the coupler I chopped the front off to remove the slip fit section but kept the area behind the gasket. I had to file off a protrusion as well.

First I trimmed the 4, 1/2" conduit sections for the clips. I cut and flied them down to 6 3/4" but I wish I had left them 2" longer now. I glued 2 sections together by laying them on a flat surface and using a tiny drop of superglue near the ends to secure them temporarily. Glue 2 more sections together and then test them for true before gluing up the 4 in a square. If they are wonky just whomp them apart with a mallet. I dribbled thin superglue down the join of each clip and set it aside to dry a while. I then chopped my cpvc couplers in half & filed them flat carefully. I had to remove a little material from the side of each coupler in 2 places to get them to sit right.

Let's prepare the endcap for the coupler. I cheated and used a manufacturing mark in the bowl at the center (kinda) to start the hole for the coupler. We can adjust for straightness when we glue it up. I also chopped a bit off the front of the endcap for weight, less fitting work and better access later.

I went up through a few sizes to my 5/8" bit (largest I have). Obviously the coupler I am using is much bigger. Some "custom" fitting with a dremel will be needed.

I marked the progress needed from the inside. I show the coupler on the other side for illustration. It should be possible to eyeball & adjust this dang closer to centered as you open up the hole.

Eventually I could whomp the coupler in most of the way. We'll finish fitting it later, just remove the coupler for now.

Now let's fit the clips. I marker, dremeled and filed the ends of the clips that interfered with the endcap.

Here's how it should look from the outside when fitted.

I used thick acrylic for the manifold, but poly or pvc would be better here.

I held it up to the back of the clips and marked the areas to remove. I removed that material with drill bits, dremeling and files.

I super glued this onto the back of the clips. I wish I had used one more coat of glue now that I see this pic. I did need to dribble some thin superglue into that area after it cured.

I cut the barrel material, filed the edges square and chamfered both ends with the reaming tool on my tubing cutter. I chamfered one end a little less and called that the muzzle. Ok now we should have this:

At this point I dry fitted everything to adjust for straightness. Fine filing of the hole for the coupler accounted for some adjustment and I filed the flat area on the clips a bit to make up for some more. I used the blaster out of the shell at this point. If using threaded couplers tighten the female to it's final tightness (might have to clean & grease the threads) before lining stuff up.

I marked where things needed to go to line up and glued in the coupler with gel superglue. I allowed that to dry a while and re-tested the clip in the endcap for straightness with the tape marks. I then applied a bead of gel superglue to the back of the manifold and to the endcap liberally. I whomped the clip home and set it aside for a day to cure. I added some thin superglue down the endcap, around the clip area in 2 layers.

Here it is fitted to a helix 4b reshell.

I added a little tubing to spread the barrels horizontally.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:34:25 am by iamthatcat » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »

Huh, I thought you already posted this. Anyway, great work Cat. I want one. If you use a smaller air sorce, will it act as a clip, or just not fire at all.
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28:32 pm »

That I haven't tried. The way it performs I imagine a less powerful blaster would do well, perhaps better (extra usable shots) if used at closer ranges. With alot of fiddling this might even be war worthy as a special weapon.
Report Spam   Logged

Zero96
Administrator

Master of Annoyance.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:01:34 pm »

Very nice Cat.

Huh, I thought you already posted this.

I think he posted it on another site, becuese I thought the same thing.
Report Spam   Logged

KIDD [01|Dec 04:17 PM]:   Chuck Testa
Ambience 327 [02|Dec 09:13 AM]:   At first I read that as "Chuck Tesla". I thought the world was about to explode, as someone had finally combined the bearded awesomeness of Chuck Norris with the scientific awesomeness of Nikola Tesla... Smiley
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 10:51:01 pm »

Thanks Zero96!

I posted some pics a while back but no real write-up. I am sooo far behind..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: