Home Of Foam
March 29, 2024, 04:39:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Sliding Dart Door

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sliding Dart Door  (Read 384 times)
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:15:17 pm »

I needed a dart door and I wasn't quite satisfied with other designs. I looked through my materials and tried this out. Imagine my surprise when it worked! This consists of a cap, door, seal and band. I used a 1/2" PVC male threaded coupler for the cap. There's a nice hole the right size through the top and a nice area around the slot to guide the door. I used some scrap acrylic for the door. I had a rubbery phone cover for the seal. There's a white band from some packing materials to secure the door to the PVC clip. Common tools are used except for a hole punch. I used a make-shift one that was .53 inches in outside diameter.

Here's the fitting we'll start with. Saw away the threads first.

File the top flat. I removed material from the bottom of the fitting for weight. I started a slot with a fine ceramic disc. The slot needs to be even across and at the right depth.

Here's the depth it should be at from the inside.

Now let's cut out the door. I used a coping saw and went slowly.

Start the fitting by dremeling or filing the edge of the door smooth. Be careful not to remove too much material or you will need to make another. It has to fit across the inside of the coupler tightly. Try it's fit in the slot and adjust the slot's height so that the door starts to fit. The corners of the slot needed the most attention. Eventually the dart door will fit in the slot about halfway. Then just file the corners carefully, keeping the file parallel with the other side. Trimming a bit with a razor knife saved time and was precise.

Here's the finished slot from the front.

I quickly added a hole and a band to secure the door to the clip. Now let's add a seal. I used an old phone cover. Oh how times have changed. I pushed the cap into the material with some force to mark it. I then used a fine point marker to mark the cut. I used small, sharp scissors to cut out the seal.

I scuffed & dusted the cap and seal. I have found this material to be tricky to glue so I want to get some surface area. I used gel superglue. I laid a bead of glue above where the seal would rest so that the seal would (hopefully) pull the glue down into the gap. I pushed the seal against the door at the edges carefully with a piece of cpvc. Pull the door out and wipe off the glue that gets on it.

I added a filet of thin superglue around the seal.

Let it dry and then put the door in the slot. I eyeballed my punch into the center of the bottom of the seal. I twirled it a bit just to mark the rubber and see if it was centered. I adjusted and then spun the punch through the seal until I felt it start to bite into the door. Make sure to cut all the way around remove the punch. That'll do it!

Here it is mounted to a homemade wye with a small clip. I tested it by clearing out the darts, pumping it up, holding my finger over the muzzle & firing. It seals perfectly. I added a little white lithium grease to the seal. Don't push the cap on too tight over the clip or it will impair the door's movement. It stays open when pulled out by the tension from the band. Perhaps not as ergo as other designs but it performs well and seems sturdy so far.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:25:28 pm by iamthatcat » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nerf Doctor
Contributors

Makes Cool S**T

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »

Awesomesauce man! I really like the unconventional use of a phone case, which is probably silicone. I might have to make one of these after my homemade wye and the other stuff on my list.
Report Spam   Logged

Edit #3: I spelled the name wrong, so for about 10 minutes, our website logo was "Hoe of Foam".
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:29:09 pm »

Thanks ND! I guess that is silicone, yeah. Explains why it's tricky to glue. I would rather use some bike inner tube but had none. It's on there pretty good though. I removed it a few times and even hammered some pvc in to test it. So far so good.

The really surprising part was the perfect seal. I haven't tried other dart door designs. From the comments in some of the threads it seemed that other designs could be fiddly. Since this sealed without any tweaking I figured I would post it.
Report Spam   Logged

Nerf Doctor
Contributors

Makes Cool S**T

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:57:47 am »

A perfect seal first time is definitely a good thing. Wish I had that kind of luck on some stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

Edit #3: I spelled the name wrong, so for about 10 minutes, our website logo was "Hoe of Foam".
Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:03:27 am »

Awesome man! This seems a lot easier to make than others I have seen. Nice work.
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: