Home Of Foam
March 28, 2024, 08:47:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Simple CPVC Tek-3 Micro Turret With Vacuum Loading

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple CPVC Tek-3 Micro Turret With Vacuum Loading  (Read 453 times)
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:09:18 pm »

This was my solution to an easy micro turret. I was inspired by Eraser475's great write-ups featuring CPVC barrel replacements and Dayko's excellent homemade turret. A Buzz Bee Tek-3 turret is used as the base. Nice and cheap. The spring from the Tek-3 works as an addition in a Jolt too which is nice. The trick to vacuum loading is to take a slice of the plunger tube and jam it in the space at the back of the turret. This adds the correct pressure in the proper place when sized correctly. I show 2 different versions barrel lengths suited to the blasters they'll be used on. The smaller one uses 1.6' lengths for a stock spring Jolt and the larger uses 4 1/8" lengths for a tank expanded SSPB. Be careful of the o-ring throughout the process. Any debris left on the inner edges will require an artists paintbrush down the barrels, soapy water and patience. Try rotating the mechanism to hide the o-ring from dust as much as possible and clean it thoroughly before final assembly. The outside of the o-ring is easy to maintain.

Here you can see the additional piece added to the back of the turret to achieve a seal on the stock o-ring.

Here it is close up, to get the idea.

To start we'll hack off the plunger tube up to within about 1/8" of the wider area. We'll also chop down the front close to the pivot. If you hold the turret up to a lamp it will be easy to mark for that cut.

Next, a few cuts to free up the area where we'll be placing our barrels.

Next let's dremel out what's left of the turret close to it's final shape. This is a good time to cut our barrels as we will be checking the fit soon. It's a good idea to square up the ends of the barrels now to insure a good fit as well.

Now let's do a test fit. I found that the corners needed some extra attention. Here's the before:

Here is the fit after some trimming with a utility knife and some filing:

And here is what's left of the turret after finish filing and cleaning.

Now we'll start on the back. Here's what it looks like after a rough cut:

These are the cuts I made for a CPVC stub. There are of course many ways to hook your turret up to a blaster. This is what works for me in this application. The length of CPVC used will depend on your application. I try to keep this to a minimum to reduce deadspace. Clean up the edges and flatten the front of the plunger tube before the next step. If you want to try enlarging the air holes now is the time to do it.

Be sure to clean and dry everything, especially the o-ring. Spin the turret and jam a soapy artists paintbrush through the air holes to clean the o-ring from the inside. Now let's glue up our barrels and stub. I used super glue which fits my working style. Epoxy is great too. If need be you can compensate for any off angle barrels now. The front of the stock turret can be used as a barrel spacer if you like. They are quite solid without one though.

Now we can fit the piece of plunger tube to the back of the turret. Cut a slice of plunger tube to about 5/16". Try to jam that slice of plunger tube between the back of the turret and that ridge that's left from the first cut. The pic shows this better than I can explain. Trim it down slowly till it fits quite tightly. If it is cocking the turret to one side on the pivot try moving it around a bit to move the points of pressure. Now check the seal and alignment of the turret. If it's too hard to advance the turret trim a bit more. Glue it in place being carefull not to get any glue going where it shouldn't. Trim it down to a sort of half moon shape, bevel the edges as you see fit.

Here is a look at the front of the stock turret and the space for a barrel spacer on the modified one.

And this is the finished product(s). Note that I tried a slightly taller plunger tube slice on the SSPB's turret to try to increase the efficiency of the seal. It did make a noticeable difference but is slightly harder to turn.

Note that I used a fairly short piece of CPVC glued to the face of the plunger tube to connect with my blasters. It is tight and stays put but doesn't go quite all the way to the back of the coupler. I don't think there's a tremendous amount of strength in the pivot point of the Tek-3's mechanism so I don't want to jam this in there too tight. I haven't tried enlarging any of the air holes yet. There does seem to be room there. Ranges? Very good. I tested stefans and stock darts and the ranges were within 10-20% (of the ranges for an equivalent sized barrel) for the smaller turret and 10-15% with the larger. The trick with the 1.6" barrel length for me, to get stock darts to fly best, was to twist them in only about 1' and then prime sharply to vacuum load well. Durability? Dunno, haven't broken them yet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:56:08 pm by iamthatcat » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

I've tried to make a tek-3 turret before similiar to this one, but mine had so much deadspace it couldn't be used with a pistol. Great job!
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

Shooting zombies since 1999

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:42:13 am »

Good Karma is heading your way my friend.
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

Following in KiDD's footsteps
iamthatcat
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 04:50:17 am »

I finally busted my sspb's tek 3 turret. Dang. But it was easy to fix.I cut what was left of the stock turret near the screw off with a razor knife. The hole was marked and a small hole drilled (didn't document the size). I dug around for an appropriate screw but had to file a bit from the head to get it into the pivot. I added some craft foam (Thanks princexbuster at NH) as a seal. There was a little tuning of the holes for the air inlet and at the back of the turret. I drilled out the holes a little larger without having to redo the stock ball detent. It still indexes nice and the extra performance is noticable.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: