Home Of Foam
March 28, 2024, 05:06:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

[Vintage] Nerf SuperMAXX 750 Review

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Vintage] Nerf SuperMAXX 750 Review  (Read 396 times)
yksnerf

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:12:07 pm »

Decided I'd review some of my older Nerf blasters for the hell of it. I recently got my hands on a beautiful SM750 (Not a scuff on it) - Here's my first impressions.

Debuting in 1996, the Supermaxx 750 is a single-shot, air powered pistol produced by Larami, originally retailing for ~$10USD between 1996 and 2003.

As was the custom of the Supermaxx line, it fired the selfsame-titled Supermaxx darts, a small variation on the Mega darts of the time.

It features a purple primary color, lime green secondary, as well as black & orange accenting.

Past the introduction, I'll move on to the basics of the blaster.  The entire first part is reviewing it in stock form.

Performance

Accuracy: N/A

The accuracy of this blaster in stock form is going to be the same as that of nearly any other suction-firing Nerf blaster, that is, you're not going to hit someone from far enough away to worry about accuracy, simply due to the range - See below.

Range: 4/10

The stock range of this blaster is about the same as every other Supermaxx blaster I've used, being between 15 and 25 feet depending on dart quality and how long you wait to fire after pumping the blaster.

RoF: 5/10

It's nothing special. You put a dart in, pump it 3* times, and fire. I was able to get approximately one shot every three or four seconds as the barrel is a very loose fit and darts can just be "slapped" right in. Not much can be expected from a single-barrel pistol with no ammo holders.

Overall, the performance gets a 5/10.

Aesthetics, comfort, and usability

Aesthetics:

I don't give this any rating, as it has no impact to the blaster. I like the Super Soaker themed design of all the Supermaxx line, and while the colors may not be the greatest by many's opinion, it's a fairly simple design that has a lot of accent areas and it lends itself VERY well to paintjobs - Plus, looking at the 1996 Nerf logo brings a warmth to my heart and I can't dislike the stock aesthetic.

Comfort: 3/10

Generally, if a grip doesn't allow you to wrap all four fingers around, I've never cared as I have little mobility or feeling of my pinky fingers in either hand (see picture), sp at first the grip didn't bother me. However, the grip is incredibly thin. If I wrap my hand around it, the trigger lands somewhere in my first or second knuckle and my index finger and thumb overlap. It's an uncomfortable gun to use extensively.

Usability: 5/10

While it's incredibly simple to use, the rear-facing pump handle is a bad design by nature. Pumping an air tank takes a relatively high amount of force compared to something like priming a Recon, and while I'm fairly muscular and able to pump the 750 with a fair amount of ease, it's an uncomfortable method and I can't find myself getting used to it after some playtime with the blaster. Other than that, it's simple and easy to operate.

Overall, in stock form, the average of my scores is 4/10, or 2/5 - In stock form, this is pretty much a worthless blaster to own, aside from the collector value - Which is originally what I intended on getting it for.

However, there's the moddability, and here are my thoughts in modded form.

Accuracy: 9/10

It's an air blaster, and if your barrel is straight and you're using good darts, it's deadly accurate and you should be able to consistently hit a human-sized target beyond 60 feet. Still a Nerf gun, not going to be perfect, so I'm giving it a 9.

Range: 10/10

I can't give this anything but a 10 due to the fact that you can EASILY achieve 90-100 feet flat in this tiny package. A PETG barrel replacement, OPRV plugging, spring gluing, and some air seal modifications will be all you need to do to get this thing running beautifully. You can also opt to replace or relocate the pump to something/somewhere better.

RoF: 5/10

This is the only drawback, as it's a single shot with a relatively small air volume, an RSCB will hurt your ranges by quite a lot with the deadspace and a hopper simply isn't going to be reliable in my experience. Combine that with needing to pump it 3* times in the uncomfortable manner, RoF is quite painful. However, it's a pistol, and if you're using a Supermaxx 750 as a primary you deserve to be frustrated by your RoF.

Overall, performance gets a 8/10 when modded, but if I were to consider it vs all other primaries of relative size, I'd give it a 9/10.  I think this is one of the best sidearms you can have around - comparing it to a TTG, Nitefinder, etc. it's going to outrange it every time, comparing to even a Supermaxx 1500 or Angel Breech LS. Obviously price depends on the person, but if I were to find one of these for under $10 now that I have one, I'd definitely pick it up - if I didn't have one, I'd get one for $15 or under, $15 to $20 is spending a bit too much for my personal tastes. I have a blast messing around with this little guy and think he'll have a place in my arsenal for a while to come.

PICTURES:

*Note about the edit

I had a leaky connection that required I pump it 4 times to get the OPRV to kick in - With everything sealed up, three pumps will pop the OPRV and you'll be ready to go.  Bumped up a point in each RoF category.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:49:45 am by yksnerf » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zero96
Administrator

Master of Annoyance.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:15:26 pm »

Very nice review. I've got one of these things stock somewhere I believe.

RoF: 4/10

This is the only drawback, as it's a single shot with a relatively small air volume, an RSCB will hurt your ranges by quite a lot with the deadspace and a hopper simply isn't going to be reliable in my experience. Combine that with needing to pump it 4 times in the uncomfortable manner, RoF is quite painful. However, it's a pistol, and if you're using a Supermaxx 750 as a primary you deserve to be frustrated by your RoF.

How is it with say 2 uncomfortable pumps instead of four uncomfortable. I know the range would be less but is it bad? I remember Mega modded a supersoaker and full powered was brutal, but it took like 30 pumps. However with 10 pumps still worked great.
Report Spam   Logged

KIDD [01|Dec 04:17 PM]:   Chuck Testa
Ambience 327 [02|Dec 09:13 AM]:   At first I read that as "Chuck Tesla". I thought the world was about to explode, as someone had finally combined the bearded awesomeness of Chuck Norris with the scientific awesomeness of Nikola Tesla... Smiley
yksnerf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:25:42 pm »

Very nice review. I've got one of these things stock somewhere I believe.

RoF: 4/10

This is the only drawback, as it's a single shot with a relatively small air volume, an RSCB will hurt your ranges by quite a lot with the deadspace and a hopper simply isn't going to be reliable in my experience. Combine that with needing to pump it 4 times in the uncomfortable manner, RoF is quite painful. However, it's a pistol, and if you're using a Supermaxx 750 as a primary you deserve to be frustrated by your RoF.

How is it with say 2 uncomfortable pumps instead of four uncomfortable. I know the range would be less but is it bad? I remember Mega modded a supersoaker and full powered was brutal, but it took like 30 pumps. However with 10 pumps still worked great.

Well, the Supermaxx 750 has a miniscule pump tube. Two pumps is going to get you so little pressure that your dart is barely going to move at all, maybe 30' max?
Report Spam   Logged
Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:55:31 pm »

Nice review, Yks. You covered everything really well. I've always wanted one of these little blasters....
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
yksnerf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 01:15:13 am »

Nice review, Yks. You covered everything really well. I've always wanted one of these little blasters....

I recommend it. After fixing a leaky connection that I was not aware of, it turns out that this thing only needs 3 pumps to be fully pressurized and good to go. Adds a point to the RoF category.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: