Home Of Foam
March 19, 2024, 06:20:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1  (Read 1931 times)
Nerf Doctor
Contributors

Makes Cool S**T

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm »

Saw the DoubleDown for the first time awhile back and decided I needed what was essentially Nerf's answer to the SNAP

So I bought one.

It's a little bigger than I thought it would be, but my hands still manage to make it look tiny.

First things first, take the 6 screws out of the left side of the handle

Then, pry the left side of the handle off, take a moment to appreciate the simple catch system

then separate the handle from the body of the blaster, leaving you with this

Quick note here, the very front of the barrels comes off with a single screw, but it doesn't do anything useful

Continuing on, remove the 4 screws from the rear of the plungertube and remove the plunger assembly from the plungertube

Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the plungerhead.

Inside the plungerhead is a square recess where the plungerrod sits when screwed on via the screw in the front of the plungerhead.

What I ended up cutting out of the catch ring, although you can actually skip this and still be able to use the o-ring wall as a catch, just hold the trigger down longer to shoot well.

Teflon tape under the o-ring for a better seal.

How my plunger cap looks cut down.
For this first part of the mod, which I'm still working on getting decent pictures of since my camera died partway through, I cut down the 2 prongs on the end cap seen in the pictures above. This allows the plungerhead to be pulled farther back and giving us longer draw. This is actually unnecessary, but I also cut the bottom of the catch ring on the plungerhead down so that it won't catch until the back ridge that holds the o-ring, but you can actually pull it back all the way without cutting down anything. Using the original catch notch, I get about 1.5" of draw; using the farther notch, I'm getting about 2.25" of draw Not a huge increase, and not much of a performance boost stock, but with a stronger spring and new barrels that .75" increase will be quite handy.

Now, this will be a multi-part guide as I'm currently swamped with school work and actual work, and I don't have many of my tools here, but I'll work with what I got at the pace that I can. I do plan on going as far as I can with the DoubleDown, and I figure a single topic that I continue to add to is better than several post, so I'll just edit this whenever I do something new to it.

DoubleDown Facts

Uses a "smart AR" system, firing the right barrel first then the left
Tested with a single dart in alternate barrels, the right barrel shoots harder
The handle is actually pretty comfy for me, even though it's small, and I can see it perhaps used as a springer homemade handle for those who don't want 3D printed
The barrel end, while being essentially useless, could be useful for a barrel space/breach "handle" for longer barrels or a possible airgun conversion(thinking about it)
The pull handle on the plungerrod is a good deal sturdier than the NiteFinder, which is the only similar handle I know of.
Seeing as there isn't much holding the body of the blaster to the handle, reinforcement seems like a must for stronger springs.

If you have suggestions for mods to this, feel free to comment.

Edit: More pics of the plungerhead
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:52:56 pm by Nerf Doctor » Report Spam   Logged

Edit #3: I spelled the name wrong, so for about 10 minutes, our website logo was "Hoe of Foam".

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Techshooter
The Human Pooper Scooper.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm »

This is essentially a larger jolt, right? I love you picture quality, it's incredible. What kind of camera do you use?
Report Spam   Logged

People have been banding NFs and TTG forever.
... Tech... You do know that banding a animal is getting rid of the balls right?
Nerf Doctor
Contributors

Makes Cool S**T

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am »

Yeah, this, the SharpFire, and the new SnapFire are essentially giant Jolts, with the SharpFire also having a different priming mech. And the camera is a 14megapixel Olympus Stylus 5010, so the pictures are huge when you click on them, but I still need to find somewhere with decent lighting.
Report Spam   Logged

Edit #3: I spelled the name wrong, so for about 10 minutes, our website logo was "Hoe of Foam".
Zero96
Administrator

Master of Annoyance.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »

Man I want one of these haha.
Report Spam   Logged

KIDD [01|Dec 04:17 PM]:   Chuck Testa
Ambience 327 [02|Dec 09:13 AM]:   At first I read that as "Chuck Tesla". I thought the world was about to explode, as someone had finally combined the bearded awesomeness of Chuck Norris with the scientific awesomeness of Nikola Tesla... Smiley
Nerf Doctor
Contributors

Makes Cool S**T

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm »

Added a picture to show exactly where I cut, but I would not advise actually cutting it. Without cutting it, you can still just pull the plungerhead back past the catch ring and to the o-ring wall, but I would not suggest this as I noticed wear on my o-ring after doing this. Eventually though I'll get around to modifying the plungerhead to allow more draw. Also, I have noticed decently better performance from both barrels after simply applying teflon tape to the plungerhead, so I guess it just has a S**Tty seal stock.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: