Home Of Foam
March 29, 2024, 07:50:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come guests, come join Home of Foam! Thank you...

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Concept Thread

+-
+-Techbox
December 11, 2020, 03:10:41 pm Lein says: It's been going good brother.  blessed to still be working and bought my first house Smiley
September 13, 2020, 07:36:16 pm Megaman_90 says: Hello my bros!
September 13, 2020, 07:36:10 pm Zero96 says: MY CHILDREN HOW IS 2020 TREATING YOU IF YOU SHALL SEE THIS
August 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm Lein says: What's your definition of alive :-)
June 14, 2019, 11:35:18 pm Zero96 says: Still alive I see my bros
February 22, 2019, 02:56:29 pm Lein says: Cool! Just finished University myself
November 29, 2018, 01:29:12 pm Techshooter says: @Lein, I am at Univeristy. I'm an electrical engineering major at Rochester Institute of Technology
March 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am Lein says: Anyone play MOBAs? Also are you at university Tech?
March 22, 2018, 11:06:05 pm Techshooter says: Hey I looked at this!
February 20, 2018, 12:08:03 am UrMum says: RIP
View Shout History

You
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Recent Posts
Compressed Air Engine (my tenth grade science project) by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 05:24:10 pm

Re: Homemade Picture Thread! by Techshooter
December 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 05, 2015, 11:52:21 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Zero96
April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 pm

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
April 01, 2015, 06:48:52 am

Re: Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Techshooter
March 31, 2015, 09:04:37 pm

Nerf DoubleDown Mod Guide: Part 1 by Nerf Doctor
March 31, 2015, 05:34:19 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm

Re: Concept Thread by Nerf Doctor
March 29, 2015, 08:24:51 am

Re: Guide to Pictures That Won't Disappear by Nerf Doctor
March 28, 2015, 12:31:08 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Concept Thread  (Read 7675 times)
Exo

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 04:44:55 pm »

That would be cool, but you could also do a bunch of other stuff, like putting extra bladders in, puting an air compresser in, replacing the pump, spending forever to dremel out the bladder chamber to allow it to expand fullway, etc. Just as a general rule, MSs aren't that pwerful. you need some serious rebarreling to get them to be very powerful. So, the question is, do you want extreme speed with maybe acceptable power, or decent power with above average speed?
Report Spam   Logged

Professional trouble magnet of the NIC.
Hit me up if you want a war in Oxnard.
redfish

I have done nothing productive all day

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 05:24:57 pm »

I actually took apart my magstrike once, just to see what exactly went on in the mechanism. I mean, I took apart the little white tube in the top that interrupts the air flow. I haven't seen anyone do this before, but what was inside surprised me. How that thing works is, there's a spring pushing a rod with two plungers of two different sizes into a small tube. The air is released into the gap between the large plunger and the small tube, and the air pressure builds until it pushes the spring far enough back that the small plunger pulls out of the small tube, allowing the pressurized air to be released.

What this means is, if you want to increase range/power with a Titan pump/tank transplant, you would have to take apart the air interrupter and replace the stock spring with a beefier one. Only then will the air pressure build higher than with the stock pump/bladder.

If you didn't understand that, I'll see if I can whip up a diagram. It's hard to explain without seeing it for yourself.
Report Spam   Logged

NERF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!ONE!!!!!ONEHUNDREDANDELEVEN!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!
Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

Shooting zombies since 1999

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »

Unless you're saying this and I don't understand, I don't think you understand.  The reason for the titan tank is so you don't have to pump it a billion times.
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

Following in KiDD's footsteps
redfish

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 05:51:00 pm »

Unless you're saying this and I don't understand, I don't think you understand.  The reason for the titan tank is so you don't have to pump it a billion times.
In that case, you're right. Still, if anyone was to do that drastic of a mod to a magstrike, they might as well replace the spring.
Report Spam   Logged

NERF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!ONE!!!!!ONEHUNDREDANDELEVEN!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!
Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 06:25:49 pm »

Spring?
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

Exo

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »

Yeah, think of MS's as an automatic tankgun. The tank fills to a certain pressure, which starts to compress a spring, and compressing the spring allows the tank to expand slightly, and then it "pops", releasing all the air in the tank, and then the spring resets the tank. And when I say tank, I mean a certain part of the piston that the tank and the spring are all a part of. But, be careful if you open up the piston, I opened up my RF20 piston, it was hell to put back together, and it never worked right again.

If you upgrade the spring, the tank has to get to a higher pressure before it will nudge the spring, allowing the piston to "pop", and as it will take longer to fill up the piston to the needed pressure, it will slow down the ROF, which is actually beneficial on MSs, because those things will blow through a 10 shot clip in about 1 second, and are very hard to reliably controll. On a stock MS, the best you can hope for is a burst-fire or totally automatic weapon.

Wait, were you directing the comment after mine at me? Becuase if you were, what I was saying was that if you fed the titan using the MS bladder, then you wouldn't use the piston anyway. Look at http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21373 THAT, to get an idea of what I was trying to say. Also, Roboman on NH sells aluminum fabricated AT2K tanks for $20, but they're aluminum, so they're immortal. And they're 2K, so they'll fit inside ANYTHING, if you can connect them to a trigger, which isn't too hard.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:48:17 pm by Exo » Report Spam   Logged

redfish

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 07:19:04 pm »

Wait, were you directing the comment after mine at me? Becuase if you were, what I was saying was that if you fed the titan using the MS bladder, then you wouldn't use the piston anyway. Look at http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21373 THAT, to get an idea of what I was trying to say. Also, Roboman on NH sells aluminum fabricated AT2K tanks for $20, but they're aluminum, so they're immortal. And they're 2K, so they'll fit inside ANYTHING, if you can connect them to a trigger, which isn't too hard.
I wasn't really directing it at anybody, just throwing it out there. And that's pretty awesome- both the mod and the aluminum AT2K tanks. I wish I knew a machine shop owner  Wink

Spring?
I made a diagram of the piston assembly, in case anybody doesn't already know how it works. I didn't.

On step 4 (the last image) note that the forward O-ring acts as a plunger as it is pushed by the spring. It doesn't do much with such a weak stock spring, but I think it acts as a secondary means of propulsion.

Also, you know how there are two holes in the front (one for each column of darts in the clip)? If you tape over one of the holes, and then load all the darts onto the other side of the clip, wouldn't that theoretically double the power and reduce the firing rate by half (to make the gun more controllable)? I want to try this, but my magstrike is kinda screwed up from when I took it apart. If there was some way to rotate the nozzle thingy, you could permanently shut one of the holes and then rotate it 180 degrees after firing off all the darts on one side of the clip. Just an idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Exo

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »

First thing: Roboman's tanks are machined from a solid bar of aluminum using a lathe.
Second thing: Step 4: The contraction of the piston actually doesn't act as a second means of propulsion, because as it starts to contract, it seals the front off again pretty quickly.
Third thing: Using half the clip would slow down the rate of fire, but only because it's firing half of the darts (One dart is fired per pop, so it would pop twice, and would fire one dart), but it wouldn't fire twice as powerfully because it's popping twice, not storing twice as much air per pop, and even if it did store twice as much air, it would still have to advance the clip TWICE to get to the next dart, so the ROF would be a quarter of what it originally was. If you really wanted to increase the volume of the piston, just search for "Assault Magstrike" and perform the mods listed there.

Not to be mean or anything, but how long have you been modding nerf guns?
Report Spam   Logged

redfish

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2011, 11:22:31 pm »

First thing: Roboman's tanks are machined from a solid bar of aluminum using a lathe.
Second thing: Step 4: The contraction of the piston actually doesn't act as a second means of propulsion, because as it starts to contract, it seals the front off again pretty quickly.
Third thing: Using half the clip would slow down the rate of fire, but only because it's firing half of the darts (One dart is fired per pop, so it would pop twice, and would fire one dart), but it wouldn't fire twice as powerfully because it's popping twice, not storing twice as much air per pop, and even if it did store twice as much air, it would still have to advance the clip TWICE to get to the next dart, so the ROF would be a quarter of what it originally was. If you really wanted to increase the volume of the piston, just search for "Assault Magstrike" and perform the mods listed there.

Not to be mean or anything, but how long have you been modding nerf guns?

First thing: Yeah, I assumed that.

Second thing: I think you misunderstood. I was actually talking about just that, after the front piston sealed off the opening. However, the narrowed tubing does extend for some length, and     the piston returns to the fully forward position after the violent release of pressurized air. This is what I was talking about. If you still don't understand, then forget about it, because it doesn't matter. I knew that any air that this released would be a) negligible and b) somewhat post-fire, and thus have no effect on the dart; I intended the comment to be food for thought. You see, you could modify this design, make it larger and use a beefier spring, and then use air pressure to just automate a spring-powered gun. I should have stated this to avoid conclusion, and I apologize for not doing so.

Third thing: Again, I think you misunderstood me. What I was saying with the dual-hole thing, was that only one of those holes supplies air to a dart at any given time. The other hole only wastes air pressure. If you tape the hole that's not firing a dart shut, then the only outlet for the pressurized air is through the hole which is propelling a dart. Also, I am aware that it would take two cycles to fire a dart using this method; the only way to alleviate this would be to incorporate an automatically sliding valve in the tip, which would be an astronomically difficult task without machining all new parts from scratch. However, I personally think that this waste of air is of much lesser significance, and in fact is advantageous, due to the decreased ROF. If you thought I didn't know why this mod would decrease the ROF, then you should perhaps re-read my post. I believe that I stated that only one half of the clip would be dispensed.

I am sorry if I seem to be snappy, but school starts in two days and I'm under a lot of stress right now.

As far as nerf experience goes, don't even get me started. 

Oh, and BTW, I updated my barrel break mod. I didn't want to double-post so I didn't really know how to bring it up...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:54:36 am by redfish » Report Spam   Logged

KiDD
Death the KiDD
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2011, 12:32:13 am »

Alright, guys. Lets not start a war here.

I don't blame anyone for snappy attitudes, because I always have them. Just don't go balls out and start a war here. Take it to PMs if you wish.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:38:06 am by KiDD » Report Spam   Logged

I do commission's year long, PM me for details.
Exo

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2011, 11:45:00 am »

Okay, okay. I got into one of these arguments on NH a while back, so I know how you feel. I'm sorry I came off rudely.

Now back to the fun stuff: If you wanted to make a sub-tank to rapidly refill the magstrike bladder, why not save $50 and make the "titan tank" out of PVC? They'd be cheaper, you could make several, that way you could swap them out, so you only have to fill tanks pregame, and if you're good with ammo, wouldn't need to re-pump the tanks in game.
Report Spam   Logged

OshawottFan
Regular members

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »

So I was watching one of Ice's/Uin13's videos from a while back and he mentioned putting NiteFinder internals in a Sharp Shot. Today I had a scraped NF plunger assembly and a Sharp Shot. Should I attempt this mod?
Report Spam   Logged
Lein
MAN OF SUPREME EVIL!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 05:32:10 pm »

So I was watching one of Ice's/Uin13's videos from a while back and he mentioned putting NiteFinder internals in a Sharp Shot. Today I had a scraped NF plunger assembly and a Sharp Shot. Should I attempt this mod?
no, if ice hasn't done it it means

1-he hasn't got to it
2-it was a failure and he didn't want to show it

I'd send ice a message on youtube and ask him if it's possible/make a write-up
Report Spam   Logged

Dead hobby RIP

OshawottFan
Regular members

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 06:10:18 pm »

Lolz. I was hoping he just forgot about it or he just hasn't gotten too it.
Report Spam   Logged
Exo

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2011, 01:17:52 pm »

Too much work. If you're talking about the new sharpshots, then I've got something easy for you.
1. Get a 5/8" spade bit, 4" oc CPVC, random other tools, duct tape, and the gun.
2. Remove the old barrel, and use the spade bit on the plunger tube, then put in the cpvc, maybe with a dart stop of some sort, and make it flush with the back of the plunger tube. Then put some duct tape on the front end of the cpvc, just so it will stick inside the muzzle.
3. Add springs, lubricate, re-assemble, etc.
4. Load a stefan, and prime the gun, in that order.
This eliminates all of the deadspace that inverse-plungers create by turning it into a pseudo-standard plunger, the end point of the plunger stroke and the back of the barrel are essentially the same place.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: